MINUTES OFTHE COMMITTEE TO DESIGN AND DEVELOP THE BICYCLE FOR THE POSTMAN HELD ON 25 JULY, 2012.
A Committee constituted by Secretary (P) vide order No. 1-6/2011-MVand comprising of Mr. B.Selva Kumar, PMG Agra as Chairperson and Sh. R.K. Sharma, Director MV, Sh. Aman Sharma, DPS(MSP) Delhi Circle along with two representatives of recognized Postman Unions , Sh. TN Rahate and Sh. Ishwar Singh Dabas as members met at Meghdoot Bhawan on 25 July 2012 to recommend the design and specifications of the Postman bicycle along with mail box/bag to be procured by the Department.
2. Terms of reference: The Committee is required to recommend the design, development and specifications of boxes/bags to be provided with bicycle to the Postman. These bicycles are to also to act as the brand ambassador of India Post.
3. Background: The Department intends to provide bicycles to the Postman all over the country during the 12th Five Year Plan to help delivery staff/Postman to carry the various sizes of articles in their beats for delivery to the public. The bicycle is specially designed for carrying about 15-20 kgs mail in the beats for delivery.
4. The member of the Committee agreed in principal to provide a HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene)made boxes for rear carrier and water proof bags to be
hung from both the sides on the rear. One wire mesh type basket (Plastic coated) supported with MS angles from the front axle to be provided on the front hand ball.
5. The specification of the bicycle supplied to pick -up agents at BPC Chennai were discussed . It was decided that CPMG TN Circle shall be requested to send one such bicycle to DPS(MSP) Delhi so that the committee members could physically examined it.
6. A visit to Atlas cycle factory in Sonepat was also proposed in order to enable the members to appreciate the various models/designs of cycles and have a discussion on design/production with the Atlas cycle experts. It was also proposed that the bicycle to be procured by the Department should have” India Post “ embossed on the chassis in order to discourage cycle theft.
7. Director (MV) shall co ordinate with MMS Depot Naraina to fabricate the front and rear carrier on one old cycle before the committee again meets on 1st August 2012 at Meghdoot Bhawan, New Delhi.