No. 08-09/2017-SR Government of lndia Ministry of Communications Department of Posts - Dak Bhawan, New Oelhi Dated : 28th May, 2018
Gramin Dak Sevaks play a pivotal role in the functioning of the Department, especially in the rural areas of the country in providing postal services to the people at large. Department of Posts is privileged to deliver mail parcel, money orders, banking, insurance, retail services and social welfare pension payments with speed and reliability in every nook and corner of the country. The Department rs also delivering e-commerce articles in tier-3 cities and rural areas of the country.
2. As you are aware, with the rise of digital communications like Whatsapp and e-mail, we are left with almost negligible personal mails to deliver. The progressive use of payments through accounts, welfare money orders have declined drastically in various States. At this stage, we need to reorganize ourselves so as to meet ihis challenge.
3. As the Department is going through a phase of positive transformation and several critical projects such as IPPB, RICT [Digital Advancement of Rural post Office For A New lndia (DARPAN) etc. are underway, the on-going indefinite strike called by GDS, Postmen and MTS Unions will result in loss of goodwill of the Department and its employees among the people. Moreover, the said on-going indefinite strike will help our competitors to attain more business, which will entail revenue loss to the Department. Just to share data, our Department in the financial year 2017-18 incurred a deficit of Rs. 12413.61 crore and we are trying to perform better this year.
4. Everybody including the highest authorities appreciate the importance of services rendered by Gramin Dak Sevaks in rural areas and have expressed that at various forums. With such positive feeling towards GDS, ldo not think that their reasonable expectations will in any way be overlooked.
5. Department of Posts, after due process, has already submitted the recommendations of Kamlesh Chandra Committee for consideration and approval of the competent authority. ln this connection, efforts are being made for getting the approval expedited and, optimistically speaking, we are likely to get a quick decision on this soon, say at least in a month's time. Thereafter, we will implement it without any further delay.
6. lt is, therefore, appealed that the on-going indefinite strike called by GDS, Postmen and MTS may be called off forthwith in public interest.
All Gramin Dak Sevaks (GDSI. Department of Posts.