DEPARTMENT ADDRESSED TO NFPE ON
SUPPLY OF GOOD QUALITY OF UNIFORM TO THE POSTAL EMPLOYEE, ETC. SUBMISSION OF SAMPLES OF CLOTH-REGARDING.
Government of India
Ministry of Communications &IT
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg
No. 23-5/2007-UPE Dated 9th May, 2012.
The Secretary General,
National Federation of Postal Employees,
1st Floor North Avenue P.O. Bldg.
Sub: Supply of good quality of uniform to the Postal Employee, etc. Submission of samples of cloth-Regarding.
Postal Joint Council of Action and JCM of Department of Posts have raised following demand in their agenda items:
(i) Supply of good quality of cloth of uniform
(ii) Replacement of umbrella with rain coat for Postmen.
(iii) Grant of uniform kit maintenance allowance for uniform, staff.
The matters have been examined in consultation with Department of Personnel &
Training (DOPT) vide OM No. 14/1/2012-JCA2 dated 7.2.2012 (Copy enclosed) and necessary instructions to that effect has since been issued to the Heads of Circles of Department of Posts vide letter of even number dated 9th May, 2012 (Copy enclosed). This is for your information.
1. General Secretary, All India Postal Employees Union,
Postmen & Group D/MTS, 17/3-D , Kali Bari Marg, New Delhi.
2. General Secretary, National Union of Postal Employees
Postmen &Group D/MTS, Dalvi Sadan, Khurshid Square,
Civil Lines, P&T Colony Delhi-110 054
SUPPLY OF GOOD QUALITY OF UNIFORM TO THE POSTAL EMPLOYEE, ETC. OF CLOTH-REGARDING.
D.G Posts No. 23-5/2007-UPE dated 9th May,2012.
The Associations of Department of Posts have raised a demand for supply of good quality of uniform to the Postal Employees, replacement of Umbrellas with water proofs to the postmen and grant of Uniform Kit maintenance allowance.
2. The matter has been examined in consultation with Department of Personnel & Training (DOPT), and the clarifications given by them vide OM No. 14/1/2012-JCA2 dated 7.2.1012 is enclosed for necessary action, which interalia states that” after coming into effect of GFR 2005 this Department has issued an OM No. 14/7/2003-JCA dated 21.11.2005 (copy enclosed), which was in supersession of the earlier instructions, clarifying that the further procurement should be made as per the relevant rules in the new GFR’s 2005. This implies that Ministries/Departments can now decide to procure uniform from anywhere and on rates subject to complying with the provisions of GFR, 2005.”
3. Regarding eligibility/supply of Umbrellas and replacement of Umbrellas with water proofs, the procedure has been codified in rule 737(X) & (XI) of Postal Manual Volume. I. The Heads of Circles are hereby informed that necessary action in this respect may be taken as per the codified procedure in consultation with the Internal Financial Advisers.
4. The DOP&T have clarified that common categories of staff, with which DOPT is concerned, no kit maintenance allowance is admissible and they are entitled to washing allowance, if issued with uniform.
Copy of DOPT O.M. No. 14/1/2012-JCA2 dated 7th February, 2012 addressed to Shri R.B. Chawla, Director (MM&VP), Ministry of Communications &IT, Department of Posts, New Delhi.
Sub: Supply of good quality of uniform and other kit items to the Postal Employees of Department of Posts-regarding.
The undersigned is directed to refer to Department of Post’s O.M. No. 23-5/2007-UPE dated 25th January, 2012 on the subject cited above and No. 23-5/2007-UPE dated 2nd February, 2012 regarding grant of Uniform and Kit maintenance allowances.
2. In this connection , it is stated that after coming in to effect of GFR,2005 this Department has issued as OM No. 14/7/2003-JCAdated 21st November,2005(copy enclosed) , which was in supersession of the earlier instructions, clarifying that the further procurement should be made as per the relevant rules in the new GFR’s 2005. This implies that Ministries/Departments can now decide to procure uniform from anywhere and on rates subject to complying with the provisions of GFR, 2005.
3. Regarding replacement of Umbrella with raincoat for Postmen, it is stated that in case of employees not covered under common categories, Ministries administratively concerned should themselves decide the question of issue of uniform and scales/tenure in consultation with the appropriate financial authorities.
4. In so far as issue relating to grant of Uniform & Kit maintenance allowances to all uniformed staff in Department of Posts is concerned, it is stated that for common categories of staff, with which DOPT is concerned, no such allowance is admissible and they are entitled to washing allowance, if issued with uniform.
Deputy Secretary (JCA)
PROCUREMENT OF UNIFORMS (SUMMER/WINTER) FOR COMMON CATEGORIES OF EMPLOYEES IN THE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT MINISTRIES/DEPARTMENTS-REVISED PROCEDURE UNDER THE GENERAL FINANCIAL RULES, 2005-REG.
DOPT O.M. No. 14-7/2003-JCA Dated 21st Nov 2005
Reference: Ministry of Finance OM No. 1/12/E.II(A)/94 dated 29.07.2005
The undersigned is directed to refer to the consolidated instructions issued in the Department OM No 14/8/90-JCA dated 29.6.1990 and further orders issued from time to time dealing with the procedure for procurement and supply of summer/winter uniforms to common categories of Group 'C' and 'D' employees serving in various Ministries/Departments of the Central Government and to say as follows:
2. Consequent to the coming into force of the new General Financial Rules, 2005 (FGRs), it has become necessary to review and modify the existing procedure for procurement/purchase of summer/winter uniforms for common categories of Group 'C' and 'D' employees serving in various Ministries/Departments of the Central Government so as to bring it in line with the provisions of revised FGRs. In this connection, it is also relevant to note that vide OM dated 29.7.2005 cited above, the Ministry of Finance(Department of Expenditure) has clarified that the special dispensation from the process of inviting tenders/quotations provided to NCCF/Kendriya Bhandar in DOPT Welfare Division's OM dated 14.7.1981 and 11.4.1994 under chapter 8 of the old GFRs no longer holds good and that purchase/procurement of goods by Government of India offices will now be solely guided by the provisions of GFRs 2005.
3. In the circumstances, in supersession of the extant instructions regarding procurement of summer/winter uniforms relating to Groups 'C' & 'D' employees in the Central Secretariat Ministries/Departments and its attached and subordinate offices, the purchase procedure to be followed in different exigencies and the relevant rules in the GFRs are outline below:-
(i) Chapter 7 of the GFR's 2005 pertaining to procurement of Goods and Services may be carefully perused to ensure that the procurement/purchase procedure adopted is strictly in line with the prescribed rules. In this connection attention is specially drawn to some of the following important provisions, details of which may be obtained from the GFR's 2005
Rule 137- Fundamental Principles of Public Buying
Rule 144- Reserved items
Rule 145- Purchase of Goods without Quotation
Rule 146- Purchase of Goods by Purchase Committee
Rule 148-Demand should not be divided into small quantities to make piece- meal purchase
Rule 160-Transparency, competition, Fairness and elimination of Arbitrariness in the procurement process
Rule 161 Efficiency, Economy and Accountability in Public Procurement system
(ii) All purchases should be made through a duly constituted Purchase Committee comprising of three members of an appropriate level as decided by the Head of the Department, including one member from the internal Finance Division and two belonging to the Administration Division. In addition, a fourth member may be associated with the purchase committee, to be nominated by the concerned staff Associations/unions.
(iii) In case of purchase of goods of a value above Rs 15,000/- and upto 1,00,000/-, on each occasion, purchase may be made only on the recommendations of a duly constituted purchase committee defined in para (ii) above, and as decided by the Head of the Department. The committee will survey the market to ascertain the reasonableness of rate, quality and specifications and identify the appropriate supplier. Also, before placing the purchase order, the members of the committee will jointly record a certificate and authenticate it, as under
"Certified that we, S/Shri-------------- members of the purchase committee, are jointly and individually satisfied that the goods recommended fore purchase are of the requisite specification and quality, priced at the prevailing market rate and the supplier, recommended is reliable and competent to supply the goods in question."
(iv) Subject to the exceptions incorporated in Rules 151 and 154 of GFR's 2005, invitation to tenders by advertisement should be used for procurement of goods of estimated value of Rs 25 lakhs and above
(v) In case of Ministry/Department directly procedure DGS&D rate contract goods from suppliers, the prices to be paid for such goods should not exceed the rate mentioned in the rate contract and the other terms and conditions of purchase should also be in line with those specified in the rate contract. In addition, the Ministry/Department has to make its own arrangement for inspection and testing of the goods, where so required.
3. While observing the above change in procedure, the purchase committee/competent Authority may also keep in view the provisions of Rule 144 of the GFRs, 2005, that reads as under:-
"Rule 144, Reserved Items: The Central Government, through administrative instructions, has reserved all items of handspun and hand-woven textiles(Khadi goods) for exclusive purchase from Khadi Village Industries Commission (KVIC), it has also reserved all items of handloom textiles required by Central Government departments for exclusive purchase from KVIC and/or the notified handlooms units of ACASH(Association of Corporations and Apex Societies of Handlooms), The Central Government has also reserved some items for purchase from registered Small Scale Industrial Units. The Central Departments or Ministries are to make their purchases for such reserved goods and items from such units as per the instruction issued by the Central Government in this regard"