MEMORANDUM SUBMITTED TO THE SECRETARY DEPARTMENT OF POSTS ON URGENT ISSUES OF POSTMEN AND MTS STAFF
ALL INDIA POSTAL EMPOYEES UNION POSTMEN & MSE/GR. ‘D’ (NFPE)
UNION OF POSTAL
EMPLOYEES POSTMEN AND MTS (FNPO)
No Memo/Postmen JCA/2013 Dated 07th June 2013
MEMORANDUM SUBMITTED TO THE SECRETARY DEPARTMENT OF POSTS ON URGENT ISSUES OF POSTMEN AND MTS STAFF
The All India Postal Employees Union – Postman and MTS / Group ‘D’ and the National Union of Postal Employees - Postman and MTS jointly submit this memorandum on urgent issues of Postman and MTS staff on which our both organizations will launch a series of nationwide Programme of Action to draw the attention of the Postal Directorate for early settlement.
Postmen Committee Recommendation not implemented.:-The P4 CHQs of both NFPE and FNPO have come to the conclusion that despite the recommendations of the postmen related issue committee; no orders on the following issues have been issued to implement them
(a) Extraction of data entry work from Postman:- Suitable instructions/Orders to all the Circle are to be issued by 30th April 2012, nothing has been done so far. An early issue of orders are required to implement them.
(b) Revision of postmen Norms:- Postmen norms issued by the Department are very old. The decision taken in the committeeare not convincing. As such it is suggested that formation of fresh Internal Work Study Unit with one/two staff side member to review all work performed by postmen staff with door to door measurement of beats was requested. Internal Work Study Unit for this job is to be ordered by the Directorate as the same does not come under the jurisdiction of the Committee.
(c) Change in procedure for payment of Speed Post delivery incentive.: At present the procedure for payment of incentive is very lengthy. No body prepares bills. In case the bills are prepared they remain under verification of PRI/SDI/ASP then goes to sanction to the Divisional Head. After sanction of bills from Divisional Head to DDOs for payment. Then bills are to be prepared DDOs for payment office wise. It is suggested that module for payment of Speed Post Incentive in the computer soft ware be installed and give powers of payment to the concerned postmaster on weekly/ monthly. After payment the concerned vouchers be sent to the DDOs for accounting purpose.
(d) Combination of beat: Combination of beats: It was decided in the above meeting that limit of combination of beat in the post office having 4+strength will be removed since it adversely affects the delivery efficiency. But orders on this item are yet to be issued by the Directorate. This need to be done at the earliest.
(e) Delivery of Heavy parcels and EPP articles:-It was pointed out by the staff side that Postman face difficulty in delivery of registered parcels weighing more than 5 Kgs each and EPP articles of which the maximum weight of 35Kgms, per articles has been fixed. It was highlighted that either some reasonable rate and mode of conveyance for delivery EPP articles should be fixed or the rates of coolie charges fixed in the past should be revised for efficient delivery of registered parcel. It was decided that the Directorate will consider reiterating the instructions on coolie charges to all the Circles so that the delivery of heavy parcels is not adversely affected. Whether coolie charges pertaining to heavy parcels have been enhanced due to high prices. As regards EPP parcels, whether mode of conveyance with rate of each mode have been decided by the Directorate.
(f) Corrigendum on density of population:-The staff side drew attention of the committee to note of Sl. 8 in the Directorate letter No 9-1/2005-WSl/PE l dated 5.2.2010 which stipulates that area having a density of population 2500 per Sq. KM may be taken as congested area “and pointed out that the same has incorrectly been printed as it should refer to 2500 per sq. Mile instead of 2500 sq meter. They quoted a clarification received from PTC,
which has cited Directorate letter dated 19.02.76 indicating establishment
norms for Postmen and defining congested area or having a density of population
of 2500 per sq. Mile. After discussion it was agreed that Directorate would
examine and issue suitable amendment /corrigendum to the Note 8 of the revised
norms of postmen establishment. Mysore
(g) Creating of justified additional posts:-In this connection while implementing the system for delivery work and allowing postmen to write correct remarks for non-delivery The staff side drew attention to item No 25 minutes of the last JCM meeting issued on 1.3.2012 wherein it is mentioned that the issue is under examination by the Postman Committee being chaired by CGM (PLI). After discussion, the view emerged that this item is not part of Committee’s mandate and the issue pertains to creation/ re-deployment of Posts which is basically a policy issue. However, the staff side mentioned that Postmen were not able to write correct remarks for non delivery of article due to heavy work in the project Arrow Offices, it was therefore decided that the experience gathered after implementation of project Arrow in various Post Offices could be examined. Result on examination has not been communicated so far in this regard.
2. Cadre Restructuring of Postman and MTS:-The first and foremost issue on which a bias against the Postman is clearly visible is that of cadre restructuring for this cadre. The Department though conceded to form a Cadre Restructuring Committee during the strike negotiations with the Postal Joint Council of Action had issued orders omitting the cadre of Postman and MTS from the ambit of cadre restructuring. This shows the mind-set of the Department on the important issue of cadre restructuring of Postman and MTS cadre. The stand of the Postal Directorate was against the direction of the Official Side in the National Anomaly Committee that every department shall go into the issue of cadre restructuring for boosting the promotional avenues of employees rather than depending too much on the MACP Scheme for that purpose. It is a known fact that the cadre of Postman and MTS have no in-situ promotion in their cadre except the promotion to the cadre of Postal Assistant through a competitive examination. Every other cadre other than the cadres of Postman and MTS have their own hierarchical promotions in their own cadre and this discrimination cannot be ended without a proper cadre restructuring in place for the Postman and MTS cadre. Even the flimsy promotion for the cadre of Postman earlier to the introduction of TBOP/BCR like Head Postman, Sorting Postman etc have disappeared from the scene and as on date no promotion in the cadre is available to both these cadres. Unfortunately the Department of Posts not only not in a position to appreciate our contention as well as the proposal for cadre restructuring based on percentage basis as available to all cadres in the Department of Railways but not inclined to consider any cadre restructuring proposal to these cadres. The absence of any promotion to them in their own cadre leaves them totally frustrated and takes away any incentive to perform better to the services. This has to be properly appreciated and attended to by the Postal Directorate in the absence of Cadre Restructuring Committee failed to find out any alternate proposals to our proposal based on percentage.
3. Door to Door Scientific Measurement of Beats:- (A) At present the door to door beat measurement system adopted by the department is not not only unsatisfactory but also incorrect one as neither scientific device like foot meter nor cyclo meter is used to assess the actual length of beat. The measurement of beats is generally done while sitting on the table by guess work only.. Moreover the workload of mail delivery and number of houses to be visited during duty of eight hours has no where been laid down causing extreme harassment to postmen staff. It is demanded that the number of houses to be visited and number of articles to be delivered should be laid down in the interest of delivery efficiency and rationalization of workload of postmen staff as well.
The Directorate ordered for rationalizing of Postman beats after hearing our complaints that Postman beats are constructed unscientifically with long distances humanly impossible to cover on a day. Many examples like more than 70 kilometres beats were brought to the notice of the Postman Committee to substantiate our complaints. Based on the discussions the Directorate agreed to issue orders for measuring the beats and rationalizing them appropriately. Unfortunately the CHQs of our Unions are receiving complaints from our Circles that re-measuring of beats is being done most unscientifically without using either the cyclo-meters or foot-meters but applying their imaginary calculations. This has complicated the problem more and there is widespread resentment among the Postman staff. Both our Unions urge upon you to issue strict instructions to measure all Postman beats only by using cyclo-meters or foot-meters for the purpose of rationalizing the beats.
(B) To fix the meeting of Committee for Modification in Order No. 31-38/79-PE-I dt. 22-5-1979:-The Committee Constituted for examination of Modification in Departmental Order No. 31-38/79-PE-I dt. 23-5-1979 in R/O footwork of the Postman from door to door walk in R/O Item DO 4 of Periodical Meeting held on 29-11-2012 and Departmental Council Meeting on 28-12-2012.
4. Revision of Syllabus to Departmental Exams Modification:- (A) As narrated in the earlier paragraph the only avenue open to the cadre of Postman / MTS for higher promotion is that Postal Assistants through competitive examinations. The Department opted for revision of syllabus and pattern of examinations and the Staff Side too agreed to it. It was told to us that the revision of syllabus and pattern of examinations would go a long way to help more candidates get through the examination to avoid many vacancies go unfilled after every examination. It took a long time for finalising the syllabus and new method of examination introduced for LGO exam. However it is found that contrary to what was told by the Department the examinations of LGOs as well as the examinations from GDS to Postman and MTS have become so tuff that it has become extremely difficult to answer many questions. Many questions are of such a standard that even IPS Officers may not be able to answer easily. This has led to a situation wherein the candidates could not get through these examinations and a large number of vacancies remain unfilled after the examinations. Both of our unions urge upon you to set up a high level committee of Officers with Staff Side Members in it to review the whole syllabus for suitably modifying it.
(B) Request to conduct special examination for recruitment to the Postman & MTS cadres for the years 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 : To avoid recurring vacancies due to leaving of qualified employees of high standard in the background of submission made above, it is requested that - 1. To fill up the vacancies for the years 2009 to 2013 in the Postman and MTS cadre a special examination only for GDS/MTS employees may be conducted. 2. The question paper may be set on the basis of practical and relevant work routinely done by the regular MTS and Postman employees. 3. The work of setting question paper may be got done by a promotee officer who ishaving practical knowledge of the nature of work being done by the MTS and Postman employees.
(C) Filling up vacant posts with Residual vacancies:- All vacant post of Postmen & Group D/MTS should be filled in within 30th June 2013 as directed by irectorate. There is no chance to fill up vacant posts in due time as no notification has been issued in many circles like A.P. and
5. Improving the Quality of Uniforms and timely supply of all kit items:-The Postman and MTS are called the uniformed staff in the Department of Posts. Unfortunately these cadres who are actually moving among the members of public pose a poor picture to the image of the Department because of the inferior quality of the uniform cloth. Despite the agreement with the All India Unions by the Department that facilitated inclusion of staff side member from the Unions in the purchase committee of uniform cloth to ensure purchase of better quality of cloth,, the problem persists. This cannot be sorted out unless the cost price permitted by the DOPT is enhanced on the face of escalating prices of all commodities including the textiles. The cost price permitted by the DOPT cannot ensure better quality uniform cloth from the market. Added to this are the violations here and there in Circles where the Administration is not sincerely ensuring inclusion of staff side members in the purchase committee and no protection against ensuring supply of the selected quality of cloth only to the staff. These have to be addressed immediately.
6. Stop Unscientific Measurement of Postmen Beats:
The Directorate ordered for rationalizing of Postman beats after hearing our complaints that Postman beats are constructed unscientifically with long distances humanly impossible to cover on a day. Many examples like more than 70 Kilometres beats were brought to the notice of the Postman Committee to substantiate our complaints. Based on the discussions the Directorate agreed to issue orders for measuring the beats and rationalising them appropriately. Unfortunately the CHQs of our Unions are receiving complaints from our Circles that re-measuring of beats is being done most unscientifically without using either the cyclo-meters or foot-meters but applying their imaginary calculations. This has complicated the problem more and there is widespread resentment among the Postman staff. Both our Unions urge upon you to issue strict instructions to measure all Postman beats only by using cyclo-meters or foot-meters for the purpose of rationalizing the beats.
7. Cycle Maintenance Allowance to MTS:-The Cycle Maintenance Allowance is paid to all Postman staff without any conditions whereas the MTS Staff who are engaged in letter box clearing or other outside office work excluded from the ambit of CMA. This is unjustified. The MTS Staff also are to be paid CMA without any conditions as like Postman staff. Both our Unions urge upon you to issue necessary orders to pay CMA to all MTS without any conditions.
(a) Revision of Fixed Monetary Compensation (FMC):-This has reference to your office letter No 10-7/2003.P.E.II dated 24th Nov 2010 wherein existing rate on revision has been enhanced for each category except Multi Tasking staff whose rate of remuneration has been reduced @ Rs 60/- per holiday for 4 hours whereas MTS staff was getting @ Rs 63.45 per holiday for 3 hrs on hourly basis @ Rs 21.15 per hour. Protracted correspondence made proved in fructuous. This need to be reviewed for proper justice to the MTS staff.
8. Abolition of Nodal Delivery Centers at all metro cities:-All Nodal delivery centers should be abolished throughout the Country immediately to avoid complication in day-to-day delivery system. (
West Bengal Circle Karnataka Circle, Bangalore, Maharashtra Circle Mumbai GPO).
9. To Stop harassment:-The postman staff being tortured for 100% delivery and in various cases by asking them to work beyond duty hours and many other ways harassment is there it must be stopped.
10. Promotional posts of Postmen Cadre: The posts of Mail Overseer, Cash Overseer, Head Postman and Sorting Postman should be considered as promotional posts for Postmen cadre and an additional increment or some allowance should be granted for performance duties on such posts. Seniority criteria of postmen should be taken in view while deploying on these posts.
Programme of Action:-The AIPEU Postman and MTS / Group ‘D’ and the NUPE Postman and MTS both while urge upon you for a speedy redressal of the above urgent issues, have decided to focus attention on all these issues by launching unitedly a nationwide Programme of Action as follows,
1.Work Spot Demonstrations:- during lunch hour or evening hours in all divisions to highlight the sectional demands of the P4 from 20th to 22nd June, 2013.
2. Day long Mass Dharna in front of Divisional Offices on 28th June, 2013.
3.Mass Hunger Fast in front of Regional Offices and Chief PMG Offices on 9th July, 2013.
4. Delivery of Mail wearing Half Pant & Vest (Male PM) and without uniform by Female Postmen:- Postmen (Male) and Postmen (Female) will deliver mail on 23rd and 24th July 2013 by wearing Half Pant and Vest (Male Postmen) and without wearing uniform in case of female postmen to protest against substandard and irregular supply of uniform and other kit items.
5,Mass Hunger Fast in front of Dak Bhawan:- including all CWC Members and submission of Strike Notice to the Secretary Department of Posts on 17th August 2013.
6. Indefinite Strike from 16th September, 2013:-Both our Unions are still confident that the Secretary Department of Posts would intervene personally to restore normalcy and tranquillity at the earliest by causing orders for the redressal of the burning issues of Postmen and MTS.
[T.N.Rahate] [Ishwar Singh Dabas]
General Secretary General Secretary
NUPE P4 AIPEU P4